Since our creation in 1973,* the North Dakota Association of Counties has been representing the needs of county government in legislative matters and acting as a liaison between counties. A number of programs designed to benefit counties are administered by NDACo. Working closely with Congress and the National Association of Counties, NDACo also alerts county officials to national developments that impact county government.
The North Dakota Association of Counties provides leadership to assure fair, effective, efficient government for the good of all counties.
NDACo will be state and nationally recognized for identifying and proactively responding to trends affecting local governments so they can provide quality services to their citizens.
- Provide a means for the exchange of ideas, information and experiences of all county officials.
- Promote continuing education of county officials.
- Facilitate cooperation with other levels of government.
- Propose and support legislation for county governments.
- Engage in other activities that strive to achieve more effective county government in North Dakota.
- Participate in any other activities permitted by law in the furtherance of NDACo's objectives.
* NDACo was authorized by NDCC Chapter 11-10-24: "Authorization to organize associations of county governments.
- Counties, organized under the Constitution of North Dakota or organized under any form of county government authorized by the statutes of North Dakota, are hereby authorized upon motion of the board of county commissioners to organize and participate in an association of counties.
- The organization or organizations authorized hereunder must be organized pursuant to chapter 10-33."